Re: My adventures with the NM process, part 2:

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:06:46AM +0100, Helen Faulkner wrote:
> That means that my sponsor kindly clicked the button to say that yes, he
> thinks I'm worthy.  Thanks Ben!  The sponsor has to write a paragraph about
> why you would make a good DD.  Since Ben was kind enough to let me see what
> he wrote about me, I can tell you that he wrote a short comment about the
> skills, experience and attributes I have that make me suitable to become a
> DD.

TBH, the advocate step is just verifying that you're a person and not
a cabbage or something (I've written about this at more length in the
past, but not on a public list that I can recall, and I don't feel
like rewriting it at this moment).

The important tests are actually the unwritten ones:

(a) Being at least a marginally competent developer
(b) Not being a complete fuckwad (the "elmo" test)

Now go find a sponsor and get some packages in the archive. The
appropriate time to start this is around the time you apply, ie, right
now. My placing of the "ideal" timetable is for the applicant's
packages to hit unstable just as they have an AM assigned. Not knowing
how to do it when you apply is "not ready", not getting on with it
until an AM assigned is "too slow".

> Actually, the list of my relevant skills and experience really isn't very
> long at all, but I'm not going to worry about that, since my sponsor
> evidently thinks it is sufficient.  OK, I'll admit to a couple of anxious
> emails about that on my part - the "do you really think I can do this?"
> thing.

You're trying too hard. Just *do* it, damnit. Time spent worrying over
whether it will work is time wasted; you'll know if it works once
you've done it.

> I'm not sure whether I should be offended or relieved that he
> "forgot" to say I can also program in fortran ;)  Probably that's not
> something one should admit to in debian circles, but if there are any other
> physicists reading this they will know what I mean :)

[Yick, there ought to be a law against Fortran. Still, the really
depressing thing is that the physicists are right, even if they
generally don't understand why].

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |