Re: Supporters brief-up

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 03:06:57PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:

> > > Can you fix Perl in Sid?  :)

> > > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   amavisd-new: Depends: libnet-perl (>= 1:1.12)

> > > ~~~
> > > apt-get install libnet-perl
> > > The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   libnet-perl: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.0-16) but it is not going to be
> installed
> > > E: Broken packages

> > > ~~~~

> > > # perl --version

> > > This is perl, v5.8.4 built for i386-linux-thread-multi

> > > Sooooo.... why doesn't it recognize that 5.8.4 >= 5.6.0-16 ?

> > Please send the output of the command "apt-cache policy perl libnet-perl".
> > This looks like a problem with your system, not a problem with sid; I
> > have sid versions of both perl and libnet-perl installed here without
> > problems.

> If this is a problem on my system, then it ought to fixable, yay:

> $ apt-cache policy perl libnet-perl
> perl:
>   Installed: 5.8.4-2
>   Candidate: 5.8.4-2
>   Version Table:
>  *** 5.8.4-2 0
>          50 ftp://ftp.debian.org sid/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      5.8.3-3 0
>         500 ftp://ftp.debian.org sarge/main Packages
>      5.8.2-2 0
>         900 http://libranet.com cedar/main Packages
>      5.6.1-8.7 0
>         500 ftp://security.debian.org woody/updates/main Packages
>      5.6.1-8.3 0
>         500 ftp://ftp.debian.org woody/main Packages
> libnet-perl:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 1:1.12-1
>   Version Table:
>      1:1.19-1 0
>          50 ftp://ftp.debian.org sid/main Packages
>         500 ftp://ftp.debian.org sarge/main Packages
>      1:1.12-1 0
>         900 http://libranet.com cedar/main Packages
>      1:1.09.01-1 0
>         500 ftp://ftp.debian.org woody/main Packages

You have a mixed Libranet/Debian system; you have apt pinning in place
(either provided by Libranet, or added by you) which gives libranet's
archive preference over Debian's; and you have overridden these pinning
preferences to install the perl from sid.

Yes, it's not sid that's broken. ;)

I'll take a shot in the dark here -- I think you'll find, if you take a
look at apt-cache show libnet-perl, that libranet's 1:1.12-1 version of
libnet-perl has a Conflicts: either with newer versions of perl, or with
some package that perl depends on.

You can resolve this by running 'apt-get install libnet-perl/testing'.
(Or 'apt-get install libnet-perl/unstable, since they're the same
version.)

If that doesn't work, it's probably a deep, dark problem with the
version of apt you have installed -- which I assume is also the Libranet
version, since no one else is seeing this problem.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer