Re: Article on Debian Women

Hi Bruce,

First of all, thanks for writing the article! :)

* Bruce Byfield <bbyfield@axionet.com> [2004:12:08 18:33 -0800]:
> David Moreno Garza wrote:
>
> >I don't know if 'feminists' is the right word for the project... It is
> >not the same to call a project as feminist like women-related.
>
> I'm not sure what distinction you're making between "feminist" and
> "women-related." They sound much the same to me, although
> "women-related" might be a more neutral term for Americans. But, in
> Canada, where I live and write, "feminist" is not a term that most
> people find objectionable.

I would say "feminist" is certainly a somewhat controversial term in the
US. Many people that actually identify with basic feminist ideology
hesitate to identify themselves as feminists because of a few extreme
cases. The term doesn't bother me, though.

> At any rate, Debian Women is certainly informed by feminism. Searching
> through its offical web site and those of some of the active members, I
> see a feminist legacy in a number of places.

You'll get no objections from me here. I do believe there are probably
women lurking around within the project that won't identify themselves as
feminists, but I agree that the original sentiment is quite feminist.

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide