Re: Article on Debian Women

David Moreno Garza wrote:

I don't know if 'feminists' is the right word for the project... It is
not the same to call a project as feminist like women-related.

I'm not sure what distinction you're making between "feminist" and "women-related." They sound much the same to me, although "women-related" might be a more neutral term for Americans. But, in Canada, where I live and write, "feminist" is not a term that most people find objectionable.

At any rate, Debian Women is certainly informed by feminism. Searching through its offical web site and those of some of the active members, I see a feminist legacy in a number of places.

It's like calling 'macho' a man.

To be honest, I don't see any similarity. "Macho" refers to extreme stereotyped male behavior. "Feminist" means (at least by the definition I believe is most common) someone who believes in the equality of women. By that definition, many men, including myself, can be described as feminists.

BTW: In this case, I take responsibility for the title. However, you should know that, most of the time, the editor, not the writer, chooses the title for an article.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield