Re: Survey - what do you want out of this?

* Margarita Manterola <margamanterola@gmail.com> [2004:12:02 12:29 -0300]:
<snip lots of good stuff>
> Also, the violence of debian-devel@l.d.o is a big draw-back.  It has
> the effect that I am so wary of saying something wrong that I end up
> not participating, or at least not as much as I would like to.

Same here.

> There are lots of things I like about the project, though, and that's
> why I want to contribute.  But as I've said more than once before, if
> we *really* want to take over the world, and -more seriously- we
> **really** are devoted to our users, then we should start building a
> more open community.  How can users be our first priority if we can't
> listen to what they want and what they are asking for?  How can we
> devote ourselves to someone we don't know?
>
> I'm thinking about talking about all this in the next Debconf, but I'm
> afraid I'll be tossed rotten tomatos (or their verbal equivalent).

I thought the same would happen to be when I gave my d-w talk, but you see
how well that turned out. :-)

Really, I think the DDs that are willing to show their faces and meet with
other developers are a lot more likely to care about the community aspect
so, if I were you, I would not worry about this -- I suspect a lot of good
could come from it.

--
off the chain like a rebellious guanine nucleotide