Re: Debian, lists and discrimination

[There was another reply to debian-project.]

On 2004-08-06 13:44:51 +0100 Pascal Hakim <pasc@debian.org> wrote:

[...] should we allow the project to discriminate against men?
Where does it discriminate against men? [...]

The description is "Discussion and collaboration involving women in Debian". Discussion and collaboration involving only men seems forbidden from that list. Nearly all posts seem to be either: 1. discussions for which there are/should be other lists *but* are on debian-women because they involve women, in this way working against equality in the wider project; and 2. discussion of "positive discrimination" for women in the debian project.

In my limited experience, sexism and other discrimination seems to run unchecked on the debian-women list. While reading up on the survey I was sent, I noticed someone "guess" that a poster of disliked views is a "white middle class christian male" in http://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2004/07/msg00223.html - I find it offensive that someone makes unsupported links between krooger's views and a background similar to mine (white middle-class christened male, although I don't think those labels say much about my beliefs) yet goes unchallenged. Why did no-one challenge that racist, classist, religionist and sexist post to debian-women?

Build concensus on the list in question, then file a bug on the lists package, or get a listmaster to agree with you.

OK, assuming that any agreeable listmaster will tell me, I'll work on the other option. I restore the cc to debian-women and ask that further discussion is directed there and cc'd to me. Please remove listmaster and debian-project from discussion of the below:

Do you agree that type 1 posts above should be directed to existing lists and type 2 are discrimination? What non-discriminatory action do you wish to take that would not be possible as debian-equality or debian-welcome?

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast