Re: What do you want to learn?

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 4:47 pm, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:54:23AM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > somewhat interested in documentation.  Like Carla, I've been daunted
> > by what I've heard about the NM process, and also by difficulty in
>
> What have you heard about the NM process that makes it daunting?  You find
> a Debian Developer (DD) who advocates you, an Application Manager (AM) asks
> you questions, then writes a report saying you're clueful and should get an
> account.
>
> Lack of documentation is possibly a problem; pointing out places where
> authors have assumed knowledge not actually available is appreciated.
> Excessive documentation is dangerous, though -- it solidifies something
> which is still, to some degree, fluid.

Akkana and I are not the only ones who have the impression that the NM process
is difficult. If it's not all that bad, then there appears to be a bit of a
perception problem. Because this isn't something that I just picked up out of
the blue, I've heard many rants from people going through it. I don't
remember the details now, but a couple folks posted here that the most
difficult part was waiting several weeks or more for a decision.

So, would it make sense to post something on the Debian-Women web site
explaining how it works, or post links to the existing docs? I read through
the documents explaining the process
(http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint), and it sounds daunting! It might
be helpful to write up the experiences of one or two NMs who have recently
gone through it. I'm happy to do the writing bit. Telling about real
experiences should be helpful. Thoughts?

Carla Schroder
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail