Re: editing Debian documentation

Carla,

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:39:28AM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm not a programmer, just an old country sysadmin, so I've been thinking over
> what I can do in terms of supporting Debian. Would proofreading/copyediting
> be useful? I know that writing man pages and howtos is always in demand. But
> I've noticed that a lot of existing documention could use a bit of cleanup:
> spelling, grammar, clarity, and so forth. Is there anyone maintaining some
> documentation who would like an assist?

Yes!  We are *always* short-handed when it comes to documentation!

Some references to get you started:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-english/ - the English
 "localization" mailing list, which serves as a forum where maintainers
 (among which there are many non-native English speakers) can send their
 texts for review.

 Debian documentation

 related to maintenance of the Debian webpages (content & design)

 installer, which is not very documentation-like in and of itself,
 but hass an accompanying install manual which is in the process of
 being revised for the sarge releasee.

> Do document maintainers have to go through months of hell like package
> maintainers to be officially accepted?

If having to wait a few months for voting rights and formal recognition
by the project is "hell" to you, I don't really have much consolation to
offer.  With few notable exceptions, most NMs weather their stay in the
queue with equanimity; and as a non-packaging developer, if anything
there would be fewer obstacles in the way of you getting work done than
for a package maintainer NM.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer