Bug#117996: wnpp: ITP: chrootuid
Available at www.porcupine.org
Chrootuid makes it easy to run a network service at low privilege
level and with restricted file system access. In the past I used
this program to run the gopher and www (world-wide web) network
daemons in a restricted environment: the daemons have access only
to their own directory tree, and run under a low-privileged userid.
Nowadays I also use it for proxy servers. The arrangement greatly
reduces the impact of possible loopholes in network software.
As of July 25, 2001, the text below constitutes the chrootuid license.
* Copyright 2001 by Wietse Venema. All rights reserved. Some individual
* files may be covered by other copyrights.
* This material was originally written and compiled by Wietse Venema at
* Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, in 1990, 1991, 1992,
* 1993, 1994 and 1995.
* Later versions are maintained by Wietse Venema at IBM T.J. Watson Research,
* Hawthorne, USA, in 2001.
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
* modification, are permitted provided that this entire copyright notice is
* duplicated in all such copies.
* This software is provided "as is" and without any expressed or implied
* warranties, including, without limitation, the implied warranties of
* merchantibility and fitness for any particular purpose.
-- System Information
Debian Release: testing/unstable
Kernel Version: Linux avalon 2.4.10 #1 sáb sep 29 19:13:19 CEST 2001 i686 unknown