libdpkg: m_fork and friends

Hi all,

I've started trying to port dpkg natively to Windows (as opposed to using Cygwin).

One area that may cause problems is that Windows doesn't have fork functionality, so implementing m_fork() will be challenging.

From what I've seen so far, the only time m_fork gets used in the dpkg source is as part of the process of spawning a child to do some work, and writing Win32 child-spawning code should be pretty simple.

This is all well and good as long as no other packages are using the m_fork (and possibly m_pipe/m_dup2) code. So my questions are:

   - Are other packages supposed to use m_fork, m_pipe, etc?
   - If not, do we know of/care about packages that do use it?
- If so, would breaking API compatability to allow a Win32 port be a problem.

Please note that my last question is badly phrased... it would _only_ be the Win32 port that would have a changed API, specifically the functions that can't be (easily) implemented (m_fork, possibly m_pipe/m_dup2) would be #ifdef'd out.

Thanks,

Phil