Re: How to get started

> Just out of curiosity, why is there a difference between renaming a file
> and moving it? Just how can Windows even tell the difference, unless
> the moving is between different filesystems?
>
> This sounds seriously brain-damaged, but then I always knew that might be
> the case.

I suspect:

Windows holds file information in the directory entry (not i-node).
I think renaming just edits some bytes of the directory entry filename field
while moving means removing the file entry from the directory entry
and adding that to another directory's entry.

Linux does not experience this problem because file is referenced as
i-nodes, and moving within a filesystem does not change the i-node.

regards,
	junichi