Re: CALL FOR HELP : Porting to windows from Debian GNU/Linux Mingw32, status report http://introspector.sourceforge.net/dia_win32.htm

--- Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote:
> > 8. The debian method of repacking sources is great, but there have
> been
> > some negative comments from the GTK developers about having another
> > distribution. This distribution based on dpkg offers a painless way
> > build cross compiled packages. I would like to hear from anyone who
> > supports this, and would like to speak out.
>
> I've noticed that you are packaging every package with a different
> name, and no orig.tar.gz (as Debian native package).

yes, that is true for now. it is ugly!

> Usually Debian distributes .diff.gz as a diff against the
> orig.tar.gz (verbatim as downloaded from the upstream site).
> So there seems to be a little misunderstanding on that point.

yes, you have done that with the gtk packages, very good job.

> Using dpkg-architecture,
> and adding support for the mingw32 port,
> and adding conditional portions to debian/rules to cross-build for
> some
> architectures would be recommended and well-known way to go, but
> I don't know if that's the way you are taking.

I have not been able to figure out how to get the diffs running like
you have. Or at least the commands to package them.

Can you give me some pointers on how to handle these items?

I have had problems with the dpkg as it is, because i want to install
the packages on top of the current system and run them with wine. If i
change the architecture, then it is hard to install them..

please, if you have any places to find that information, i would be
greatful.
thanks,
mike

=====