Re: Usage of dpkg under cygwin

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 02:20:52AM -0700, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> --- Hans-Georg Bork <hgf.bork@quicknet.nl> wrote:
> > AFAIK a package cannot be installed properly if all files have
> > userrights of Jimmy, that's why this need to be done with UID 0
> > (which
> > means root in U*ix or admin in win). Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Fine, the fakeroot program will have to be ported, or a
> chown would do the trick.

A chown would not do the trick -- fakeroot is only required if you are
not building as root. In which case you can't chown the files to root,
evidently.

> But we are talking about cygwin here, the uids do not have such a
> importance do they?

You bet they do. NTFS, which is what anybody running a recent version of
Windows should be using, supports comprehensive ACLs (although mapping
the unix model onto them is still slightly fiddly). So of course a
Cygwin system should have the proper owners and permissions! The idea is
to provide a full, unix-like system -- I don't think we're going to
toss access controls aside just because it's slightly easier that way.

--
John Ineson
``It's entirely possible to install almost every version of Linux on one