Re: Usage of dpkg under cygwin

--- Hans-Georg Bork <hgf.bork@quicknet.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 21:30, Paul Baker wrote:
> > [...]
> > This is absolutely needed to properly build debian packages.
> Otherwise
> > files can not be created with the proper permissions before they
> are
> > actually tar'd up and included in a debian binary package.
>
> AFAIK a package cannot be installed properly if all files have
> userrights of Jimmy, that's why this need to be done with UID 0
> (which
> means root in U*ix or admin in win). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fine, the fakeroot program will have to be ported, or a
chown would do the trick.

But we are talking about cygwin here, the uids do not have such a
importance do they? I can imagine of course if you want to use the
cross compiler to create linux packages under windows that there might
be problems.....

I did not mean to leave it like that forever, just telling you about my
progress. The important thing for me was to get the compiler running.
Now it has gotten into the configure program, and I have to iron out
some problems there.

Anyway, today is a public holiday here in Germany, the celebration of
the reunification with the east. I wont get a chance to look at the
cygwin today because I dont have windows at home.

Thanks for the great work on the dpkg porting, it is much further than
I had thought.

Here is an idea : What do you think about using dpkg to create cygwin
packages? Like modify the output of dpkg to create a cygwin compatible
installer package. That way you only have one control file, and that,
plus the rules contains all the information needed anyway?

Just a thought.

MIke

=====
James Michael DuPont