Re: Call for direction in the packaging of windows packages inside of debian and the running under wine.

--- Paul Baker <pbaker@where2getit.com> wrote:

> On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 06:09 PM, Hans-Georg Bork wrote:
>
> > Hi James,
> >
> > On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 01:45, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Now, I would like to install these and run them under wine, and
> also
> >> manage the dependancies between them using dpkg. Do I have to
> rename
> >> the package from eg : gettext to gettext-mingw32? Or use some
> >> dpkg-divert mechanism? Currently I am attempting a rename.
> >
> > in case nobody answered: the naming should follow thr rules for
> > deb-packages, where the architecture is shown on the end, e.g.
> > gettext_0.10.40-5_win32.deb
>
> just a thought, but should we be qualifying an architecture in
> addition
> to the win32? ex. gettext_0.10.40-5_win32-i386.deb. I say this
> because
> you can installed NT 4.0 on mips, alpha, and powerpc in addition to
> i386. So wouldn't that mean that debs would need to be compiled on
> these other architectures for win32? I doubt that anyone would ever
> do
> this, but shouldn't we account for the possibility?

I think you are right.
Also we have to look at the architecture of where the code is compiled,
is it compiled under debian on architecture X? Is it compiled natively
on the architecture win32-X? Is is cross compiled from one window
platform to another?

So we have a very complex architecture problem when we look at the
combination of where the code is built and where is supposed to run.

The reason why this is complex is that I would like to be able to
install and test these foreign packages on my debian box. This will
allow for the usage of dpkg to manage the dependancies, even if they
can only be executed via an interpreter like wine.

I find that the only way to install these packages is to rename them to
prevent conflicts.

So we have three issues here :
1. How to install foreign packages binary and source.
2. How to recognise various architectures and represent the changes and
configurations for those architectures.
3. The issue of porting of dpkg to these foreign architectures.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/