Re: linux migration

The following text was discovered Monday 15 July 2002 in a note
attributed to one "jonas.weismuller@fmc-asia.com":

> Our company is considering to migrate some Desktop PC¡¯s to Linux. To
> rephrase: I have to prove how far the development of Linux is feasible in
> our company!
>
> I have a checklist about the programs which are used in our company. Most
> of the vendors of these programs don¡¯t support Linux solutions/Clients
> (hopefully it will change as soon as possible). Therefore I am looking for
> alternatives by taking into account the compatibility to our existing
> programs, because we will not migrate all PC¡¯s.
>
> I hope you can fill in my list. If this is no subject for this mailing
> list, please let me know or maybe you just prefer it to send it to my
> private email address, it would be nice! If you have already experienced
> alternative products playing/working with the common windows based
> products, please write down a mark between 1-6 (¡°1 ¨C very well¡± to ¡°6
> - very bad¡±) in brackets behind the certain program and if u don¡¯t mind
> with a short explanation of pros and cons, just insert with a comma and
> use a¡°P:¡± for pros and a ¡°C:¡± for cons!
> For example: Alternative: openoffice(3,P:faster, more stable, C:" not
> compatible to Microsoft excel 2000 sheets), staroffice (2)
>

> Following the list of the programs my company used:
> MS Office 97/2002
> ------------------
> Linux version: No

There sort of is. CodeWeavers (www.codeweavers.com) sells a "Crossover
Office" product that allows MS Office to be run under Linux.

> Power Archiver (Free compression tool)
> -------------------------------------
> Linux version: No
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

There's a utility called File-Roller (sorry, don't know a URI offhand) that
does a fairly good job.

> Irfan View
> ----------
> Linux version: No
> Alternatives:
> Comments:

IIRC this is an image viewer. "gqview" (I believe the URI is gqview.sf.net)
is a very good one, and GThumb (you can find it somewhere on gnome.org) is
based off of it.

> Adobe Acrobat Reader
> Linux version: yes
> Alternatives:

xpdf is a usable alternative, though it doesn't have a "modern" GUI, which
might conceivably be a drawback (it's well-done enough not to require it
IMO).

> And last but not least one question:
> If we come to the conclusion to migrate to Linux which Operating system
> would you choose for a Desktop solution and WHY !?!?

You're asking the Debian lists for a nonbaised distro reccomendation? ;)
I'd actually suggest Libranet (www.libranet.com) - they're based off of
Debian, and they've made a decent effort to focus on desktop applications.
But raw Debian ought to do fine in a pinch.

--
Joanne Hunter <http://menagerie.tf/~jrhunter/>  Say No to HTML Mail!/"\
 Of course, I don't know how interesting any of this really is,     \ /