Re: [Dev-C++] Compiling cygwin

Le Vendredi 10 Mai 2002 10:03, Robert Collins a écrit :
> Why do you say setup.exe is horrible? Bad architecture? Bad GUI? Doesn't
> work? The last two days of MD5 related errors that I have not had time to
> look at?

Sorry, I now have some more precise questions:

1) Are there any plans to support a command line setup.exe installer? This
could allow us to install a limited version of Cygwin and continue further
with dpkg.

2) Is there a Cygwin setup.exe to-do list? I could not find it on Cygwin web
site? I would like to know what Cygwin installer lacks v.s. rpm or dpkg.

For example : does setup.exe support uninstall? is it possible to run
post-install scripts? does it support version dependencies? etc...

3) Setup.exe is in the middle of nowhere between a Windows installer (lacking
GUI features) and a Linux super-installer (lacking rpm and dpkg deatures). It
is non-standard. In the short run, it should be replaced.

4) Look at KDE or Gnome under RPM or DEB. Packages are much more "granular',
standard than their Cygwin counterparts and thus can be easily upgraded.

5) In Linux, development libraries are usually available under seperate
packages. Is there a notion of library-dev package in Cygwin?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE