Re: get the project officially started

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Millan" <zeratul2@wanadoo.es>

> I'd like to call for help on the debian-devel discussion; as i see it,
we
> solid arguments
> and to avoid the flaming that some developers are trying to feed. See:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg01606.h
tml

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg01668.h
tml

The first one is just nonsense. Ignore it.

The second one _does_ raise some good points.

However, The w32 definition has already had good answer given for it in
that thread.

The solution for the licensing/DFSG/policy comment is to start a thread
on debian-legal. Calmly and clearly ask if anyone percieves problems,
and then for any you cannot logically address, post a link here.

Thirdly,
Wine does not run Cygwin properly now. (please if you're going to argue,
build cygwin on cygwin hosted in WINE and run the full testsuite. If
nothing fails that doesn't fail on (say) win2K, then I'll accept that
Cygwin works properly under WINE).
Reactos does not run Cygwin now (I've been in the reactos lists for
quite some time now :}).

However, note that Cygwin has no non-free software dependencies in terms
of building and distributing.

To build cygwin on linux:
make
newlib
gcc
binutils
winsup which means:
w32api
mingw
cygwin

So while one can only *use* cygwin on a MS produced platform, there is
no requirement for that situation to stay, and cygwin can always be
rebuilt from anywhere the above packages can be built on.

Rob