Re: Line is no emulator ;o)

Hi

On Saturday, 10. November 2001 05:39, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 01111002575400.08818@WintelPC>,
> Thomas Uwe Gruettmueller  <sloyment@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >Would it be possible to run ELF binaries compiled for linux
> >directly under Windows (like Wine¹ runs EXE files under
> > Linux)? The idea is:
>
> Yes.  It is possible:
>
> http://line.sourceforge.net/

Wow :o)

So, apt would have to handle three different architectures
simultaneously (maybe with a command line option):

  Layer3:  Line     (fully Linux compatible)
  Layer2:  Cygwin   (Posix compatible)
  Layer1:  Windows  (self-compatible)

At least Cygwin (and some free software programmed or optimized
for win32 (like PuTTY)) would have to be packaged for native
win32.

Line, XFree86 and some device drivers would have to be packaged
for Cygwin, and also programs that do not run with Line, yet.
(Everything else is optional.)

The difficulty I see is that users could decide to install a
program twice, e.g. bash as Cygwin and as Linux version. This
could maybe lead to problems.

Bye,
Thomas
 }:o{#

--
Permission is granted to everybody, to copy and distribute the
above text (except quotes), to broadcast, to perform and to

Arrrgh, my signature is too long.