Re: How to use /etc/php5/conf.d ?

hey olly,

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 20:40:21 Olly Betts wrote:>
>     Additionally, each engine provides a directory at
>     /etc/phpPHPVERSION/PHPSAPI/conf.d where 3rd party PHP libraries and
>     modules can provide additional configuration information.
>
>     XXX this second part is not yet true.
>
> It looks like the second part is now mostly true.  README.Debian in the
> PHP packages gives some information - it says:

yeah, the webapps policy needs to get sync'd up with the current state of
things.  another thing for my debconf todo list :)

>     The rationale with this method is that each SAPI can thus be
>     identically configured with a minimal amount of conffile handling,
>     but at the same time if you want to have SAPI-specific configuration,
>     you can just remove the symlink.
>
> Should a package attempt to do anything special in the situation?
> Should I be trying to copy xapian.ini into the conf.d for every SAPI
> or is it assumed that this is up to the sysadmin if he or she removes
> the symlinks?

i would say no, if the admin has done that then they've done so for a reason,
so you shouldn't try and do anything other than dropping the file in the
top-level conf.d.

*however*, there's some discussion now about adding a php5enmod/dismod similar
to apache, see the pkg-php-maint archives if you're interested.

> And is there a recommended way to handle edits made to php.ini by the
> currently install version of a package when moving to using conf.d?
> I can easily check for the appropriate line and remove it if present,

i would say put the check in a conditional part of your preinst script to only
be done when upgrading from a version less than the next version.

	sean

	sean