Re: Policy 3.7.0 - /usr/lib/cgi-{bin|lib}

sean finney wrote:
> - that cgi-bin is defined to be a location outside of debian packages'
>   reach entirely (/srv/www/cgi-bin or /var/www/cgi-bin, or whatever).
> - httpds which support scriptaliasing ship this as the default location
> - httpds which can not scriptalias it somewhere else (those that hard-code
>   it at compile time, i'm guessing > 0 may do this) use that as the location.
> - applications which wish to provide cgi-bin based scripts are allowed
>   to use the scriptalias function of applicable httpds to claim
>   subdirectories of cgi-bin.
> - under no circumstances are packages to place files in the default
>   cgi-bin location.
> - it is the admin's privilege/responsibility/authority to modify the
>   contents of the default cgi-bin location.

AFAIK apache2 is the only web server package that allows scriptaliases
to be added to it in a policy conformant way (by dropping config file
snippets into /etc/apache2/conf.d/. Other web servers that support
scriptalias, like boa, centralise it all in a single conffile, which
other packages are not allowed to edit. That's why I said that there
being more web servers than apache2 in Debian is a problem.

> with this approach, the admin is free to do whatever he/she wishes with
> the cgi-bin directory (place files, symlink to directories provided
> by debian packages, etc), without interference from debian packages.
> there is also a clear distinction of domain between the local admin
> and the debian package management system, which is generally a good
> thing and something we seem to like doing in debian.

Of course using /cgi-lib/ for debian's cgis and /cgi-bin/ for the admin
also draws a similarly clear distinction, although the naming of
/cgi-lib/ could be clearer (as was mentioned in the policy proposal).

--
see shy jo