Policy 3.7.0 - /usr/lib/cgi-{bin|lib}

[ Please follow-up to debian-webapps ]

Hi,

I was working on packaging a new version of bugzilla and when I checked my
package with lintian I discovered that /usr/lib/cgi-bin is now
deprecated by the policy standards:

  W: bugzilla: file-in-usr-lib-cgi-bin usr/lib/cgi-bin/bugzilla/
  N:
  N:   Packages shipping web server CGI files should install them in
  N:   /usr/lib/cgi-lib, not in /usr/lib/cgi-bin. This is done to avoid
  N:   conflicts with the cgi-bin script alias, which is reserved for the
  N:   local use of webmasters. Web servers should include /cgi-lib/ as a
  N:   standard ScriptAlias pointing to that directory.

I understand why this change is welcome but I'm a bit surprised because
of the following points:

I'm subscribed to the debian-webapps mailing list and have never
seen any topic about this, I'm a bit surprised such a change has not
been mentioned there.

Why have we created this list for? :-/

I think that we should document somewhere how to handle this
migration. Just changing the path /usr/lib/cgi-bin to /usr/lib/cgi-lib
in our debian/rules isn't enough, we have at least to warn the user
that he has to make sure that his webserver provides a Script Aliasing
feature from cgi-lib/ to cgi-bin/.

If this is already documented somewhere, feel free to tell me where.

I plan to do the following for the bugzilla package:

  1/ Add a debconf note for notyfing the user about the location change.
  2/ Provide an example configuration file that enables script-aliasing
     for an apache virtual host.

That won't prevent breakages on upgrades, but at least, the user will now
what happens.

Best regards,

--
Alexis Sukrieh <sukria@sukria.net>