Re: Depending on PHP

Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

> This is in my opinion insanely long and complex. Do the members of this
> list have any idea whether this can be made any shorter and more to the
> point, or if it's not currently possible, is there something we could do
> to make it possible?

It might be worth looking at what the python packages in debian do.
Basically (if I understand it correctly):

python X depends on pythonX
python-foo depends on pythonX-foo
somepackage depends on python-foo and python

python is an empty source package that simply depends on the agreed
default python version for debian.

a python-foo source package generates pythonX-foo and only if needed,
packages for older versions of python.

If a package needs the non-default version of python, they depend on the
version explicitly:

somepackage depends on pythonY-foo and pythonY

All these python dependencies are generated by the dh_python script. and
a {$python:Depends} in debian/control. I spose such a script would be
good for php too. Also, it might be good to have a php cdbs class to
make php/pear packages even easier.

--
bye,
pabs