Re: Depending on PHP

Hi!

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:57 +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> Hey people,
>
> I've got a question which might be appropriate to this list. Our
> package, phpbb2, works with php4 and 5. After some evolution, our
> depends line has come to this:
>
> Depends: libapache2-mod-php4 | libapache-mod-php4 | php4-cgi | php4 |
> libapache2-mod-php5 | libapache-mod-php5 | php5-cgi | php5, php4-mysql |
> php4-pgsql | php4-odbc | php4-sybase | php5-mysql | php5-pgsql |
> php5-odbc | php5-sybase, apache2 | httpd, debconf (>= 1.2.0) |
> debconf-2.0

It seems (based on the dependencies on my own system), you could at
least shorten the PHP dep itself to: php4 | php4-cgi | php5

(From the desc for php4/5: This package is a meta-package that, when
installed, guarantees that you have at least one of the four server-side
versions, etc...)

I was going to suggest perhaps getting the various DB extension
dependencies added to a package like php-db (or is it php-pear-db).. but
at a glance it looks like phpbb2 has it's own built-in abstraction
layer, so that probably won't help.. (might be a worthwhile idea for
php-db anyway.. it seems that few webapps have a homegrown database
layer with support for so many products :)

matt