Re: Minutes from the DebConf5 BOF?

hi penny,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:37:18AM +1200, Penny Leach wrote:
> | Local Administration
> | ====================
> | If the local admin decides to use the remote-... package, the
> | information is requested through debconf for the remote database. The
> | next web application that chooses a remote host could choose to use the
> | existing details, or could choose to configure a new
>

> Martin Langhoff & I had unofficially volunteered to do some work on this
> front (remote-* packages) when we got home (just arrived home a few
> hours ago) -- obviously the first step is to ping the various db package
> maintainers to get their input. One or both of us will try and write up
> a little bit what we plan to do and send it to the relevant people
> (including this list) for discussion shortly.

i'm still not quite sure what these 'remote-' packages would provide
that couldn't simply be represented in configuration files.  as it
stands now, dbconfig-common remembers the list of hosts used by
other packages (or it did the last time i checked).  this could be
extended/rewritten such that dbconfig-common could provide a list
of 'profiles' to use as optional starting points for preseeding
the debconf responses for administrative credentials as well.

if you're interested in helping on this front, or have other db related
ideas, you're invited to join up on the alioth dbconfig-common mailing
list, where most of the db-specific stuff is being discussed.

	sean