Re: PEAR policy recommendations

Le Ven 8 Juillet 2005 18:44, Charles Fry a écrit :
> > As for section 2.2, Uwe's dh-make-php uses the following command to
> > install the pear package:
> >
> >     pear install --nodeps -R $(CURDIR)/debian/$(PACKAGE_NAME)
> > package.xml
>
> Reading "pear help install", this install mechanism is specifically
> recommended for "testing, or for wrapping a PEAR package in
> another package manager such as RPM."

I know that, but if the maintainer screwd up, and that he forgot some
Depends on its package, the postinst will fail (if you don't specify
--nodeps) and my packaging is also more robust.

that was intentionnal not to use that way ;)

FYI, I don't like every PEAR recommendation on how to package PEAR
packages. e.g. see my remark about debsums, it's really vital to be
able to monitor the soundness of your includes without having to
install aide or a specific tool.

> I did, however, notice that the package.xml file must be in the same
> directory as the package files. Perhpas this is best accomplished by
> symlinking package.xml, and then modifying the install command to be
> something like:
>
>    pear install --nodeps -R debian/php-pager Pager-2.3.3/package.xml

except for the --nodeps part, it may be correct

> One other minor thing, is it really correct to remove the .registry
> directory? As far as I can tell, that should actually be maintained.

yes it is, because I don't want them to be registered in the .deb
content. those are created by my call (in postinst) of pear.

Note that atm `pear install' only creates new files. but the day it will
begin to modify an existing file, packaging without my fancy
prerm/postinst will be unpossible (sorry, the sentence may not be very
"english" I don't know how to explain it very clearly, but you should
see the point).

my packaging method *is* complex, but is also very robust to any
uncompatible pear modifications : it makes really less assumptions on
pear than you do (as I understand it, but again, I've not looked cleary
what you do and how you do it, so I may misunderstand sth).

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit