Re: PEAR packages - how to repackage?

> > > I'd like to see some consistent policy about that because updating the
> > > packages is no easy task if there are so many way to package the original
> > > source.
> >
> > I think that the best solution is to use dh-make-pear, and then to
> > create a uupdate-pear to complement it.
>
> As far as I'm working on pear-package.alioth.debian.org which do the same, I'd
> like to know the policy, not the tool.

Right you are. :-)

I guess we were discussing the right way to handle orig.tar.gz.

Well, here is what the Debian Developer's Reference, Best Packaging
Practices section (6.7.8) has to say:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-origtargz

There are two points I would like to underline:

1) We should be providing the upstream tgz as is unless there is a
compelling reason not to.

2) dpkg-source knows how to handle tarballs that lack a common top-level
directory, so it is okay for the orig.tar.gz to have package.xml at the
top-level directory.

Considering these two points, I propose that we consider maintaining
the original tarball as orig.tar.gz to be the best packaging practice
for creating Pear packages.

Hopefully this can be integrated into the various tools that you and
others are working on.

Charles

--
Keep well