Re: Minutes from the DebConf5 BOF?

Penny Leach dijo [Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 04:45:42PM +1200]:
> The main point of the remote-* packages is that they are a means to
> depend on a database. Currently, you can depend on a database, which
> hurts those users that want their database on another machine, or just
> recommend one, which means that it's possible (likely) to install a
> non-working web application.
>
> Having a remote-postgresql or remote-mysql package allows a less
> problematic solution to this problem.  For a web application that wants
> mysql, you can have a depends on mysql-server OR remote-mysql.

I think I raised this in the BoF, but anyway, I don't remember the
answer I got, so here I go again :)

PostgreSQL and MySQL have a -client package, which provides the needed
infrastructure to connect to a remote database. Of course, you can
argue that it doesn't semantically mean they will be used as such -
But I do think that it's a bit overkill to create extra packages just
for a semantic issue. And I doubt the DB maintainers would like them
very much.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5623-0154