Re: What about static web pages that are periodically updated?

This one time, at band camp, sean finney said:
> hey,
>
> On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 08:21:11PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> >   The current policy draft does not seem to have any suggestion for
> >  placement of this kind of files, it only says static files should go in
> >  /usr/share but this doesn't suit my application as the files are
> >  changed all the time.  They need to go under /var somewhere, the best
> >  location is probably /var/cache but I'll leave it up to you to decide
> >  on that.
>
> i'd suggest a subdirectory of /var/cache/$package; that seems the
> most reasonable location.  this should definitely be somehow addressed
> in the policy document, but i'm not sure what exactly to call these
> kind of pages?

Straight from the FHS:

/var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is
locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation. The
application must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike
/var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss. The data
must remain valid between invocations of the application and rebooting
the system.

Files located under /var/cache may be expired in an application specific
manner, by the system administrator, or both. The application must always
be able to recover from manual deletion of these files (generally because
of a disk space shortage). No other requirements are made on the data
format of the cache directories.

So 'cached data' seems like a good shorthand.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |