Re: Web applications specific issues

Alexis Sukrieh dijo [Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:32:38PM +0200]:
> (...)
> Providing a VirtualHosting facility
>
> On some occasions, system adminstrations need to run different versions
> of a webapp package, as they are used across different virtualhosts.
> It's usually quite hard to do that currently. Most packages can only
> have one version installed at a time.
> You will probably need to fetch the packages' source and do a lot of
> modifications
>
> * The standard approach is to install stuff from source.
> * Another way to do that is to bump the package name but that seems to
>   be a solution that's not well liked by some DDs

Yes, sadly many PHP developers suffer from this kind of myopy (sp?). I
have three full copies of Moodle installed in my system - And the task
is not easy to solve. Probably we could add an instance management
facility, which creates a copy of the master application in a given
directory, and whenever we update/remove the package takes care of
updating/removing those instances as well... Of course, upgrades can
be particularly messy.

The best way would be to convince the webapp's upstream to handle
multiple instances via a configuration file. That's not too hard to
do, but is not widely used in PHPland (which means most of the
webapp-space).

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.org - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450