debian webapps working with php.ini engine=off by default?

Hi all,

(please don't CC me, I'll read flames in the archives)

I'm wondering if it is a good idea for debian's webapps policy to
suggest that php webapps must work when /etc/phpX/apache/php.ini
contains engine=Off? i.e., they should recommend the user (or do it in
the packaging) put "php_flag engine On" into the appropriate
<Directory>/<VirtualHost>/etc section in the appropriate apache configs.

Also, it would be nice if engine=Off were the default in future
post-sarge php packages.

--
bye,
pabs