Re: Web applications specific issues

Le Mardi 3 Mai 2005 17:50, Thijs Kinkhorst a écrit :
> On Tue, May 3, 2005 17:43, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > a lot of web apps are extensible (drupal, wordpress, ...) and users
> > may want to use such plugins. This is unlikely that we may be able
> > to provide packages for any of those plugins, and we should think
> > at a way to allow users to use their own plugins, without totally
> > breaking the upgrades ....
>
> This is a problem I've indeed not solved yet for SquirrelMail and I'm
> very interested in anyone who has ideas about this. In the past it
> was tried to make separate packages for quite a few of the plugins
> for SquirrelMail but those were rejected by ftp-master because of
> package bloat so that's not really a solution.

well, the bloat is one problem, but it's not the only one. take drupal
(I really like that piece of software that is really well thought), the
"releases" are releases of the core, and between two versions, it has
differents API. and thus, modules have to be upgraded too. and that can
takes time. and some modules may reach an API compatibility later than
the core.

moreover, those plugins may need upgrades too (since they use the
DB), ... and this really can be a real mess easily :'(
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O