Re: Arch qualification for buster: call for DSA, Security, toolchain concerns

On 7/8/20 9:21 PM, Paul Gevers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [Note, this e-mail may look familiar as it is mostly copied over from
> the buster call, not much has changed, AFAICT].
>
> As part of the interim architecture qualification for bullseye, we
> request that DSA, the security team, Wanna build, and the toolchain
> maintainers review and update their list of known concerns for bullseye
> release architectures.
>
> Summary of the current concerns and issues:
>  * DSA have announced a blocking issue for armel and armhf (see below)
>  * Concerns from DSA about ppc64el and s390x have been carried over from
>    (stretch and) buster.
>  * Concerns from the GCC maintainers about i386, armel, armhf, mips64el
>    and mipsel have been carried over from (stretch and) buster.
>
> If the issues and concerns from you or your team are not up to date,
> then please follow up to this email (keeping debian-release@l.d.o in CC
> to ensure we are notified).
>
> Whilst porters remain ultimately responsible for ensuring the
> architectures are ready for release, we do expect that you / your team
> are willing to assist with clarifications of the concerns and to apply
> patches/changes in a timely manner to resolve the concerns.
>

> List of blocking issues by architecture
> =======================================
>
> The following is a summary from the current architecture qualification
> table.
>
> armel/armhf:
> ------------
>
>  * Undesirable to keep the hardware running beyond 2020.  armhf VM
>    support uncertain. (DSA)
>    - Source: [DSA Sprint report]
>    - I was under the impression that this issue has been resolved (at
>      least for armhf) by now, but we like a fresh statement on this.
>

> [DSA Sprint report]:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2018/02/msg00004.html
>

> List of concerns for architectures
> ==================================
>
> The following is a summary from the current architecture qualification
> table.
>
>  * Concern for ppc64el and s390x: we are dependent on sponsors for
>    hardware.
>    (Raised by DSA; carried over from stretch and buster)
>
>  * Concern for armel and armhf: only secondary upstream support in GCC
>    (Raised by the GCC maintainer; carried over from stretch and buster)

this was wrong, and still is wrong. See
https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-10/criteria.html. arm-linux-gnueabi is listed as a
primary platform. The arm-linux-gnueabihf triplet never gained much traction
outside of Debian/Ubuntu, so should be included.

armel might be special because the use of the libatomics library is mandatory.

>  * Concern for mips, mips64el, mipsel and ppc64el: no upstream support
>    in GCC; Debian carries patches in binutils and GCC that haven't been
>    integrated upstream even after a long time.
>    (Raised by the GCC maintainer; carried over from stretch and buster)

this is wrong for ppc64el (at least I didn't raise that).
powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu is listed as a primary platform.

https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/criteria.html explicitly lists the little endian
variant, and after checking with upstream it looks like an omission to document
that for GCC 9 and GCC 10 as well.

A concern that appears to get ignored by the release team is that both mipsel
and mips64el are neither a primary or a secondary release architecture.  You
seem to mention it in the summary, but don't have it in the list of concerns.
GCC upstream only lists the bare metal mips*elf target, plus I don't see any
other test results getting posted to the gcc-testresults ML besides for the
Debian builds.  Please also note the 100+ test failures for mips* in binutils,
which are not addressed for years. See
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/2020-July/112201.html

mipsel now adds another work around to build 64bit compilers to be able to build
larger projects (see e.g. binutils64).