Re: request: check installability of Depends before building

On 02/13/2018 02:05 AM, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> All I was asking for is to have the run-time dependencies (at least the explicitly specified ones; the autogenerated ones usually come from Build-Depends anyway) checked before starting the build for exactly the reason you're mentioning.
>
> Based on what you and Julien are saying, I guess I should copy them and use <!nocheck>.

The problem is that with our current infrastructure if the build
dependency is not available it's not scheduled. If the build dependency
is available but it fails to build, it will loop being retried and fail
until someone steps in to marks it as permanently failed. Unfortunately
to reduce maintenance burden permanently failed builds are reset on the
next upload. So the other solution is to put it into not-for-us or
Packages-arch-specific. We reduced the content of the latter file
massively thanks to the automation the build dependency check gives us.

Unfortunately I cannot speak to build profiles. But it sounds fair on
first glance.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern