Re: request: check installability of Depends before building

On 02/12/2018 10:16 PM, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> Besides unnecessary repetition in d/control, lying to the build server in telling it that it needs a package in order to build could cause unnecesssary problems in bootstrapping.

Well, but we're running a real-world system here. In an optimal world
these runtime dependencies would be build dependencies because unit
tests would run the code and depend on the libraries being present.
Alas, sometimes that's not possible and packages are still not going to
be useful (or installable) on architectures where those dependencies are
missing. Making them explicit as build dependencies avoids having
useless, uninstallable packages on those architectures.

So it's about trade-offs and I think Julien's right.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern