Re: key-id from a file instead of .builddrc?

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 07:05:05PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Philipp Kern (pkern@debian.org) [140525 12:32]:
> > On 2014-05-24 12:44, Andreas Barth wrote:
> >> to ease the updates of gpg keys I consider to add an option that
> >> sbuild looks up the keyid in a file instead to specify it directly in
> >> .builddrc. What do you think? (I would make sbuild to do the lookup,
> >> because that allows to change the key while to build is running. Also
> >> it would make the restarts for key changes go away. The proposed name
> >> for the new option would be sign_with_file, but if someone would like
> >> another name more, please say so.)
> > I'd rather prefer buildd to do the lookup and pass the value to sbuild.
> Why?

A multitude of reasons actually:

a) I'd like us to diverge from sbuild upstream as less as possible. It's bad
   enough that we cannot use the distro one. buildd is another matter
   entirely, though.
b) I don't think this option will pass muster upstream. Why would you
   special-case this single option, if you do not even sign with a file (e.g.
   specifying key material) but instead just read a key ID out of the file?
   That's what $(cat foo) is for on the commandline.
c) It is buildd configuration. It is specific to how we (here even just Debian,
   I think) do things with buildd.
d) You could insert Perl code into .sbuildrc to do this, there's technically no
   need to add a new command-line option.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern