Re: Please give back gcc-mingw-w64 (so it rebuilds using gcc-4.6 4.6.3-12)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:13:58 +0200, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 01:33:16AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Stephen Kitt <steve@sk2.org> (14/10/2012):
> > > Now that gcc-4.6 4.6.3-12 is installed in unstable on all
> > > architectures, would it be possible to give gcc-mingw-w64 back on
> > > all buildds? This will cause it to be rebuilt using gcc-4.6
> > > 4.6.3-12; since the latter's version ends up in the resulting binary
> > > packages' versions, a binNMU shouldn't be necessary...
> > >
> > >   gb gcc-mingw-w64_7 . ALL
> > a package which failed to build can be given back. That's really an
> > alias for “please give it another chance to build (successfully)”. If
> > you want to get a(n already successfully built) package rebuilt
> > against a new set of packages, that's where binNMUs come into play.
>
> And if would've been cool if you could send a rationale for why the binNMU
> is needed (I simply don't know why one has to recompile against a new gcc,
> and there's no bug# reference) to debian-release@lists.d.o (Cc'ed).
>
> (binNMUs migrate automatically if present, hence it's also slightly relevant
> for wheezy release management.)

Thanks for all the info everyone! Had I known a binNMU was the appropriate
solution I would of course have filed a bug using reportbug with a
rationale...

Basically Matthias Klose asked me to update gcc-mingw-w64 to the latest
version of gcc-4.6 which fixes the kfreebsd-amd64 build bug (#637236). This
would also give us all the fixes in gcc-4.6 since the last gcc-mingw-w64
build (4.6.3-8), updates which warranted a freeze exception for gcc-4.6
(4.6.3-11 at least).

As Jonathan pointed out, there's an RC bug against gcc-mingw-w64 (#690148),
which I wasn't aware of because it got sent to the previous maintainer. I'll
fix that and do a sourceful upload.

Regards,

Stephen