Please give back atlas on armhf [was: Please give back atlas on 3 arches)

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 22:49:17 +0200, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
>
>> The last version of atlas (3.8.4-7) fixes a problem which was previously
>> causing many FTBFS. As a consequence, the new version built successfully
>> on many arches, even those on which it had not built for a long time
>> (e.g. armel and sparc).
>>
>> However, due to the very nature of upstream build system, there are
>> still random FTBFS. These typically occur when the buildd is under heavy
>> load. This is documented upstream [1].
>>
>> Since version 3.8.4-7 is the one we want to have in Wheezy, I therefore
>> request give backs on the 3 arches where the build failed for the reason
>> aforementioned:

> ki and s390 look like they worked on a second try.  armhf failed again
> though.

Indeed atlas 3.4.8-7 is now installed on all release archs except armhf.

The last build log for armhf shows that the failure is not specific to
that arch but rather is (again) the known issue mentioned above. So I
request a give back on armhf:

 gb atlas_3.8.4-7 . armhf

I am well aware that a build system failing about one third of the time
is a very bad thing, especially for a package that requests so much
resources for building. If we want to change this, the only long term
solution seems to transform atlas into a source-only package (the
alternative, modifying the build system, seems a daunting task). On one
hand such a change would make sense since Atlas delivers its best
performance when recompiled on the target machine (and recompiling
locally is already recommended in the package description); on the other
hand it would go against the spirit of Debian which is to provide
ready-to-use binary packages.

--
Sébastien Villemot
Researcher in Economics & Debian Maintainer