Re: keep-latest for binary packages?

Andreas,

am Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 11:05:21PM +0100 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> can someone remember why we need to run keep-latest on the binary
> packages files? According to wanna-build comments, that could be for
> the reason that the buildd resolver can't cope with all but the latest
> version, and will fail anyways if the latest version doesn't work for
> us. AFAICS, this is however only true for direct dependencies,
> indirect ones are auto-picked up by apt.
>
> If the above doesn't look too bad, I'd like to remove keep-latest on
> the binary package files for the main archive (it's not used anyways
> for the other archives).

--- Day changed Wed Jul 29 2009
16:10 < nomeata> ok, small perl script "keep-latest" written to make sure no
obsolete information is passed to wanna-build --merge-all in trigger.often, see
last three commits on
http://git.debian.org/?p=users/nomeata/wanna-build.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/edos-debcheck

So the motivation was, I guess, to drop the old package in suite/Packages to
use the one from suite-buildd/Packages instead.  It's possible that merge-v3
already trims down the list of eligible sources by itself, like quinn-diff did,
by only considering the newest one.  Please look what the differences are
in bd-uninstallable and merge results when doing that change.

Thanks
Philipp Kern