Re: Request for binNMU voms and lcgdm

Mattias Ellert <mattias.ellert@fysast.uu.se> (03/11/2011):
> Hi!

Hi,

> gsoap is notoriously not backwards compatible on updates due to changes
> to the struct soap in the stdsoap2.h header between even minor version
> updates. So also for this update.

not notorious enough so that I know, but OK. :-)

> For this reason the gsoap package installs a shlib file to ensure that
> dependent packages explicitly depends on the version of gsoap used
> during compilation.

I see.

> Trying to install voms-server (from the voms source package) or e.g.
> dpm-srm-server-mysql (from the lcgdm source package) will rightly fail
> with the new gsoap installed: […]

Could you please mention something along the lines of: “please binNMU
[…] due to the usual shlibs strictness (backwards compat is broken by
all minor updates)”? That should be understandable by more or less
anyone taking care of binNMUs, without a need for further explanations
in the future.

Last bit: binNMUs are usually handled by the release team. ;-)

Initial request:
| I would like to request a binNMU for voms and lcgdm so that they get
| rebuilt with the new version of gsoap (2.8.4-1).

I can take care of scheduling those if the release team is happy with it
though (I have no time to check whether it would be entangled with
ongoing transitions).

Mraw,
KiBi.