Re: wanna-build state changes by dinstall

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:50:36PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Andreas Barth (aba@not.so.argh.org) [100603 14:29]:
> > 4. Handling of the architecture line
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Currently we mostly dump the architecture line in favor of
> > Packages-arch-specific. We could declare an source-package to be
> > mostly non-existant on an architecture it doesn't declare itself to be
> > existant. What do you think of such an change? (Or just add an new
> > state, "unported"/"unsupported".) - This change could be done any time
> > later.

I can't parse the second sentence.  In the past dpkg-source did not put
the right information into the .dsc.  This is fixed nowadays.  That's
what made the mentioned fix possible.

> According to the quinn-diff source:
>     - Consider the Architectures line in the Sources file as authoriative.
>       If it does not list the current architecture or `any' the package is
>       not considered for building anymore.  (Closes: #275835)
> we already only consider packages according to their sources lines
> *and* Packages-arch-specific.

It should help to minimize P-a-s at some point.  And packages depending
on such arch-dependent packages will be stopped from building through
dep-waits.  It will make the architecture look worse than it is in the
graph though.  (A valid objection Steve had, because that was one of the
historic motivators for P-a-s too, as I heared.)

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager