Re: Automatic Debug Packages Creation and Handling

Le dimanche 19 juillet 2009 à 13:17 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort [2009-07-03  0:25 +0200]:
> > In order to automatize the process, we'll modify the helper tools (debhelper and
> > CDBS)
>
> I don't think you should rely on CDBS for that. In Ubuntu's
> implementation, we currently divert dh_strip, so we just rely on
> debhelper.

Since cdbs always uses dh_strip -pfoo, it is not possible to build one
debug package per source package without changes in cdbs.

> However, if that is accepted, I'd much rather ban -dbg files
> completely. They clutter the mirrors, package searches, inflate
> Packages.gz, etc.

The idea is to remove them progressively, as ftp-master would refuse
them in all NEW uploads.

> > - There's the question as to whether build one .ddeb per source package, or one
> >   per binary package.
>
> I vote for the latter, for two reasons:
>
>  * Users think in terms of binary packages.

Since we want to make their use completely transparent in the end, that
doesn’t change many things for users.

>  * Often, source packages multibuild the same thing with different
>    options (think of the mplayer-k6 vs. mplayer-686 packages in the
>    past, or exim4-daemon-light vs. -heavy). You can't install both of
>    the debug symbols at the same time.

You can install both at once, since they will have different build IDs.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :