Re: Automatic Debug Packages Creation and Handling

Hello,

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort [2009-07-03  0:25 +0200]:
> In order to automatize the process, we'll modify the helper tools (debhelper and
> CDBS)

I don't think you should rely on CDBS for that. In Ubuntu's
implementation, we currently divert dh_strip, so we just rely on
debhelper.

> This won't be the case if there already are -dbg packages, and we
> will provide an option to disable this

That's a good thought. In Ubuntu, we always produce .ddebs so that our
crash reprocessing tool just needs to know about one approach.
However, if that is accepted, I'd much rather ban -dbg files
completely. They clutter the mirrors, package searches, inflate
Packages.gz, etc.

> - There's the question as to whether build one .ddeb per source package, or one
>   per binary package.

I vote for the latter, for two reasons:

 * Users think in terms of binary packages.

 * Often, source packages multibuild the same thing with different
   options (think of the mplayer-k6 vs. mplayer-686 packages in the
   past, or exim4-daemon-light vs. -heavy). You can't install both of
   the debug symbols at the same time.

> I haven't looked into the dak code yet, but will start to look at it soon. I
> already have working patches (although not very polished yet) for debhelper and
> CDBS though. I wanted to have some working code to start with!

BTW, you are aware of https://launchpad.net/pkg-create-dbgsym ? It's
the implementation we have successfully used in Ubuntu for years, with
test cases and fixes for many obscure and broken packages. I think a
reimplementation from scratch should rather be avoided, unless you
want to completely redesign the solution?

Thanks, and good luck!

Martin