Re: Yet another buildd web interface...

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:18:16PM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
>  * in the short term, is there any hope to make [2] available for the
>    new official architectures kfreebsd-{amd64,i386}?

It is planned that they switch to the official infrastructure.  They didn't
make the move yet because they haven't all the packages needed to get a
buildd running in the official archive.

>  * in the long term, is there any hope I can still maintain this service
>    when the new wanna-build will be in production (meaning, either have
>    direct access to the database, or keep dumping it regularly as it is
>    done now)?
>  * do you have any comments concerning the service itself? Would there
>    be anyone interested in making it official? I know few people here
>    know OCaml, and that Philipp is planning to make another web service
>    as part of his work on the buildd infrastructure, but keeping this
>    one can be useful anyway for my own experiments regarding
>    transitions.

And dato does his own transitions managing stuff too.  It's not that I am
ultimately keen on having a full-fledged web interface at the end of
the summer because even the ground work is pretty extensive.

It should move to the proposed schema, in any case.  It's in the sbuild.git
if you want to have a look.  It may also be possible to grant access to the
current test DB which is regularly populated with newer status information.

It ultimately boils down to the fact that you are not a DD yet and thus you
can't access the machine it runs on.  So we would need to come up with a
solution so that we pull your changes onto raff from, say, alioth to get it as
an official service.

I don't want yet another web interface that relies on dumped information.
Think of Jeroen's interface (which wasn't the first to rely on dumped
data, maybe it was Igloo's or yet another).  It's code isn't pretty at all and
thus nobody dares to touch it.  I fear that the same could happen with OCaml
code because nobody in the team knows that language.  So we need to rely on
external people.  It might work, at least at the start, but somehow it needs to
be clear enough to other OCaml people so that it can be passed on when
you don't have time anymore.

Just my few cents,
Philipp Kern
--
 .''`.  Philipp Kern                        Debian Developer
: :' :  http://philkern.de                         Stable Release Manager