Re: Question to candidates: what are your quantitative diversity goals and metrics?

Hi Roberto.

Most of the reason you are asking here so persistently is that Andreas chose to say "over representation of white males" instead of "under representation of some other group" (be it females, POC, ...).

I'd like to point out three things about this:
1) it is clear from current numbers that we would reach equal representation by whatever metric within a few years.
2) stating it as over representation of the biggest group is shorter than saying under representation of other groups.
3) if you see any possible wording as putting any blame on one or more groups, the wording Andreas chose is putting blame on the majority instead of putting it in those who are under represented.

I don't know if (3) was his reason for the wording. But kudos of it was.

And yes, trans people are probably over represented as well, compared to the overall population. But that's true almost anywhere in IT. (And honestly, while I'm not in that group, I see it as a good thing.)

Kind regards,
Sven

Am 29.03.2024 14:24 schrieb "Roberto C. Sánchez" <roberto@debian.org>:

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 06:57:33AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Am Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 07:30:51AM -0400 schrieb Roberto C. Sánchez:
> > In any event, rather than infer what you might believe, I thought it
> > more respectful and helpful to ask you give some insight into how you
> > shaped your view so that those who consider voting for you might
> > understand how you would like to reshape the Debian project.
>
> Since you are repeatedly asking for measures I might like to add that
> I'm very keen on giving *everybody* a fair chance to contribute.

I am not opposed to answering your question concerning Salsa and its
role in providing opportunities to contribute to Debian, but as they
say, "we're not here to talk about me, we're here to talk about you."

First, let's be very clear about something, I have repeatedly asked for
metrics concerning your position on diversity based on the fact that in
your platform you cite "a notable over representation of male
contributors originating from countries typically considered
industrialized" as something that needs to be addressed. I have
rephrased my question and offered several different possible ways of
framing a response that would be satisfactory.

Yet, for some reason you seem unwilling to discuss this particular topic
and you now feel the need to change the subject. I do not understand the
purpose of making something a part of your platform and then refusing to
discuss it. If I were to let you divert the course of the conversation
now, then I would be falling short in my duty as a project member with a
responsibility to inform himself concerning those who seek to lead the
project. So, I refuse to allow the change of course in this
conversation. I believe very strongly in leadership accountability and
that accountability begins with transparency on the part of leaders and
those who would seek positions of leadership.

I have only asked my question repeatedly because it is not being
answered. Let me ask you, please, to be transparent.

So, I will repeat my question: what are your quantitative diversity
goals and metrics, and what are the rationales behind those goals and
metrics?

Now, since I asked first, what about if you answer my question, and then
I'll see about answering yours?

Regards,

-Roberto

--