Re: Question to candidates: How do you plan to manage finances/accounting?

On 3/22/24 09:23, Nilesh Patra wrote:
I am interested in knowing about what the current candidates think about
accounting bits in Debian and how they think about spending the money.
I think the money should be spent based on the evaluation of cost to benefit ratio.

As I have read and from time to time observed, the finances in the project
do not have a lot of transparency and there are updates posted semi-occasionally
on -private and sometimes in DPL talks. Jonathan also wrote about it in one of their
previous campaigns. Itd also be good to know if there's a plan on where the budget
shall be best spent.

While I believe that deciding in advance where to spend and where not to spend money in advance is not a great idea in our context. If there is a fixed amount of money to be spent in a year, distributing under various budget headers would be a good idea. But in Debian, it is not the case. Some years, there will be more expenditure and some years not much. Only plan I right now have is to revisit the diversity budget and how to increase the efficiency.

My money spending decisions will be based on "does the outcome justify the expenditure".

I agree on your point of lack of transparency about the finances. But from what I understood from highvoltage's  platform last year, the problem is more to do with the current delayed, manual and tedious accounting process. Now I do not have access to the accounting process, but once I have access, I would definitely spend some time to evaluate if a better process can be implemented. I would try my best to have transparency in finances (at least on -private).

I would like to know if the candidates for this term have any plans about it or any thoughts
in general.

Both of your platforms have only a (very) vague idea about it and I'd like to know more
specifics about it.
I know my answer here also does not have much specifics, it is because I prefer a case to case decision rather than a general decision.

PS: I urge _only_ the candidates to reply to this mail 😀

Best,
Nilesh