Re: Candidates question: politics and Debian

Gerardo Ballabio <gerardo.ballabio@gmail.com> wrote on 21/03/2024 at 10:00:28+0100:

> Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
>> I can understand that you want the candidate's opinion on this (after
>> all it's important for a lot of people to chose someone with whom one
>> shares values)
>
> Yes, that's why I asked. One candidate already answered and I hope the
> other one will also share her opinions.
>
> But it was also interesting to know your opinions, and if that isn't
> deemed off-topic in the context of a DPL election, I'd like to hear
> the opinions of other non-candidates too.

I personally think it can be relevant.

That being said, taking a step back, I can appreciate how a lot of
people replying could drown a bit -vote.

>> Also, why on earth would you care whether people you've never met (and
>> probably never will meet) decide to transition and ask you to use a
>> different name/pronoun to address them?
>
> That is definitely off-topic. If you are interested in knowing my
> answer to that or to any other questions, feel free to contact me in
> private.

Well, feel free to drop a reply in my mailbox, then!

>> In a whole, I think it's interesting to see people asking the DPL to
>> take position regarding what they see as problematic to them instead of
>> taking the matter in their hands and submit resolution proposals for
>> these points.
>
> I kind of see your point -- but this is the discussion period for the
> DPL election, and this is the mailing list where the discussion is
> supposed to take place, and I was following up to another question
> asked to the candidates, so it seemed entirely appropriate to me to
> address them.
>
> And I believe that a GR would be the last resort, rather than the main
> way to address problems. Besides, initiating a discussion on this list
> would be the starting point for a GR process too.
>
> If you think it was wrong of me to ask that question, please elaborate.

I don't think that it's wrong in essence, although I think our PoV on
the matter would not be aligned (which is fine with me).

But I do think that, whatever a DPL/Candidate says on the matter, it'll
only potentially influence the voters in their votes, but not the way
things are in the project.

I wouldn't want to change the current general situation in the project,
but if I were to, I'd probably bring the matter to the members as a whole.

--
PEB