Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 10:13:26AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-09-10 at 09:16 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
> > So the practical problems facing people requiring non-free software
> > appears solved or possible to solve.
>
> As I understand it there are two problems solved by proposal A/E:
>
> Users who aren't aware of the firmware problem are directed by the
> Debian website to download the free installer, they try it out, find it
> doesn't work on their hardware and then abandon Debian in favour of
> other distros, or ask questions about it to the Debian support channels
> or the Debian teams involved in the image creation/distribution. They
> always get the non-free installer eventually, but we have wasted their
> time and ours by directing them to the free installer by default.
>
> Since the hardware most users use causes the first problem, the people
> fielding these support requests see that the free installer is in most
> cases not useful and therefore want to stop building or working on it.
>
> My earlier proposal that solves these issues without a GR or SC change:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/683a7c0e69b081aae8c46bd4027bf7537475624a.camel@debian.org

Yes, that totally makes sense. I wansn't sure whether the mentioned
"side-by-side" would be allowed without GR, so I made it a ballot option.
And indeed, keeping the free media alive may require calling volunteers.
It looks like this kind of solutions has been discussed already in April.