Re: Possible draft non-free firmware option with SC change

Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de> writes:

> Seconded.

> Do users have the right to redistribute the installer?

In this proposal it's left unspecified (in other words, it's not an
inherent position of the Social Contract one way or the other), mostly
because I'm trying to keep the change as simple as possible and
redistribution of non-free software, in general, may depend on exactly how
and what the user is doing.  In practice, I would expect it to be a
problem if a typical user couldn't and we would deal with that problem as
part of the normal bug handling process.

The basic theory here is that this amends the Social Contract to give the
installer team *permission* to include firmware, but they're not
*required* to include firmware and can continue to exercise judgment on
what they do and don't include.