Re: Informal Discussion: Identities of Voters Casting a Particular Ballot are No Longer Public

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if we could allow expressions of disdain
>> (anti-seconds?), such that a second would get cancelled out for every
>> two DDs (or maybe a larger multiple?) that respond to a call for seconds
>> with an anti-second. A proposal would then need to stay at above 6
>> seconds for some short period after the latest anti-second landed to be
>> considered to have a properly seconded proposal.
>
> This is a vote, though, just a kind of awkward one.  If we're going to
> hold a vote, I think we should do it with decent software designed to
> handle a vote, rather than asking some poor person to manually verify and
> count mailing list messages.

That mail was a bit stream-of-consciousness, and I had hoped that by the
end of it it was clear that I too thought the "anti-second" idea was not
actually that great ... oh well, never mind.  Sorry for not re-editing it.

The bit that was supposed to be the conclusion of that was that it might
be good if we had some mechanism for collecting opinions related to
mailing-list mails/threads that was private, and didn't involve making
(often already long) mailing list threads longer in order to express an
opinion, but I think that's going OT so should be discussed elsewhere,
probably after setting up a prototype.

Cheers, Phil.